|Family Reimbursement Application|
|Respite Reimbursement Log|
|Updated 2022 Family Reimbursement Program|
Family Reimbursement Grant Program
Frequently Asked Questions
*Updated June 2022*
What is the Family Reimbursement Grant?
The Family Reimbursement Grant is an OPWDD funded program that financially assists families to care for a family member with a developmental disability. Families are reimbursed for expenses they have paid out of pocket. Requests must be directly related to the needs of an individual with an intellectual or developmental disability.
Who is Eligible to apply for the Family Reimbursement Grant?
The grant serves people with developmental disabilities of all ages who live with a family member. We serve individuals in the following counties; Albany, Fulton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, and Washington. Individuals living independently, or in a certified setting are not eligible. To apply, individuals must be eligible for OPWDD services and provide their Letter of Eligibility.
What types of items can be reimbursed?
- Music Therapy
- Camp (NYS only, DOH permit must be submitted)
- Hippotherapy (Nipper Knolls, High-N-Mighty, etc)
- Athletic Programs (Adaptive Sports, etc)
- Single Gym Memberships (Ciccotti Center, YMCA, etc)
- Clothing, outerwear, and shoes (Clinical Justification required)
- Electronic Devices to help with communication needs (Clinical Justification required)
- GPS Trackers (Clinical Justification required)
- Recreation Programs (class at The Broken Mold, Ring Around the Spectrum, etc)
- Legal fees related to guardianship and special needs trusts
- The following requests qualify for once in a lifetime Reimbursement:
- Rent/mortgage/utilities (no more than two months behind)
- Rent Arrears (no more than two months behind)
- Pest Control
- Home Maintenance
What items cannot be reimbursed?
- Any good or service that is covered by Medicaid.
- Any good or service that should be provided through school districts (OT, PT, etc)
- We cannot reimburse for sales tax, penalties, shipping and handling, fines etc.
- Experimental Treatments
- Luxury items (swimming pools, etc)
- Travel Related Expenses
- CBD or Marijuana products.
- Funeral Expenses
- Mileage and/or Transportation
- Com Hab Activity Fees
- Recreation Respite Activity Fees
- Upgrades to items/services covered by HCBS Waiver or Self Direction
- Completed applications received by 4pm on February 25th will be reviewed March 3rd. Notifications will be made by 4/1/2022.
- Completed applications received by 4pm on May 27th will be reviewed June 2nd. Notifications will be made by 7/1/2022.
- Completed applications received by 4pm on August 26th will be reviewed on September 1st. Notifications will be made by 10/1/2022.
For additional questions please contact Heather Giorgianni, Director of Community and Individualized Services at 518-640-3315 or by email at HGiorgianni@