- Responsible for maintaining and implementing the agency’s compensation systems, market analysis and data analysis. Ensures internal and external equity among and across departments and programs. Makes recommendations for modifications, improvements and overall system structure and/or changes. Assists in developing and recommending agency compensation strategies and conducts periodic reviews to ensure compensation strategy implementation.
- Conducts exit interviews and appreciative inquiry interviews to collect information and compile aggregate anecdotal data to assist the agency in enhancing its processes to ensure a positive and supportive and working environment.
- Maintain record of personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, terminations, and employee statistics for government and Board reporting. Analyzes data and information, and prepares various reports for executive management, other reports for managers on a periodic basis and for our regulatory and oversight bodies.
- Prepares job descriptions, and conducts FLSA classification, job analysis and the rating of positions on a wide variety of complex positions. Assist managers and leaders with department and/or program restructures. Responsible to ensure internal equity within department, program and agency.
- Serve as a back-up on investigations of employee-related issues including but not limited to
complaints, harassment allegations, discrimination.
- Prepares various salary, benefit or other HR related surveys or reports on behalf of the Agency and manages the related databases or systems that holds the related data.
- Compiles periodic statistical reports and makes suggestions for improvement based on data.
- Coordinates and processes unemployment claims; represent agency at unemployment hearings, as needed.
- Collects and reviews applications for employee development programs (Conover Scholars, Tuition Assistance, Hearst Scholarship), administers and maintains the programs, makes recommendations for improvements, communicates with employees regarding requirements/deadlines, and submits applications for payment.
- Assists in development and implementation of personnel-related policies and procedures and makes recommendations accordingly.
- Participates in new employee orientations or trainings for existing staff by presenting information and fostering a smooth onboarding or professional development process for all employees.
- Coordinates assigned recognition events and programs and serves as a project manager on other special projects as assigned.
- Coaches and supports managers to ensure consistent, equal, and fair treatment of employees and minimize liability and risk against the agency. Assists in writing and/or reviewing employee related documents such as but not limited to supervision notes, performance reviews, and corrective actions. Facilitate and encourage open lines of communication during disputes between employees and their supervisors; promote effective conflict resolution.
- Interacts and coordinates services with consultants, legal counsel, vendors and other resources on a regular basis.
- Maintain working knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures and reporting are in compliance. Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations regarding employment practices and assists with the resolution of EEOC and Wage and Hour resolutions.
- Responds to general inquires brought to HR and/or redirects to the appropriate resource. These inquiries can include and are not limited to paperwork, processes, procedures, benefits, resources, general inquiries, etc.
- Participates in various Agency or external committees or project teams or serves as the HR representative as appropriate.
- Responsible to make recommendations for continuous improvement, and to maintain compliance and/or remain current with HR and Agency trends, regulations, best practices, etc.
- Responsible to participate in and/or assist with all HR events including, staff days, celebrations, wellness activities, open interviews, etc.
- All supervisors, managers, and employees are all responsible for helping to create a workplace free of recognized hazards, and for acting safely.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum of Bachelor's degree in HR, Business or related degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university. Minimum of 5 years of HR experience. Experience in compensation, employee relations and/or investigations, data analytics and systems experience is preferred. Minimum of 3-5 years working in a not-for-profit and/or similar industry is also preferred.
Core Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities - KSA’s):
- Advanced relationship management skills ability to communicate at all levels in a clear
and concise manner.
- Requires a perceptive professional with the capability of relating to individuals at all
levels. As unique situations occur, the professional must be able to adapt, be sensitive to
Agency needs, goodwill and public image.
- Emphasis on time management, quick response times and ability to manage multiple and
shifting priorities. Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams in a fast paced and energetic culture. Highly effective in dealing with ambiguity.
- Demonstrates proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.), human
resources information systems and other technology for employee relations information.
- Handles confidential information with discretion and ease.
Ability to drive and possesses a valid New York State Driver’s License. The driving record must be acceptable for agency insurance coverage and the employee must have daily access to a vehicle based on the department and Agency needs.
The position also requires occasional evening, weekend and holiday work.
Ability to read, analyze, interpret and apply business periodical and professional journal concepts, technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions and solve problems coming from managers, employees, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to interpret data, report and apply it in a variety of complex situations and/or scenarios.
Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret and apply a variety of complex instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Extensive word processing, spreadsheet, email, database software, HRIS/Payroll, and other Internet software experience
Certification: Minimum of the PHR and the SHRM-CP; SPHR and the SHRM – SCP preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and typical of an office setting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.